Welcome to my Blog

I am a semi-retired former Scottish trade union policy wonk, now working on a range of projects. This includes the Director of the Jimmy Reid Foundation. All views are my own, not any of the organisations I work with. You can also follow me on Twitter. Or on Threads @davewatson1683. I hope you find this blog interesting and I would welcome your comments.

Friday 2 July 2010

Labour Leadership

In Leeds today at the annual UNISON UK Labour Link Forum. The morning session was taken over with a hustings for the UK leadership elections.

Interesting to see how the candidates handled questions on issues that matter to UNISON members. Public service cuts, private finance, privatisation and from our Scottish delegation, their understanding of devolution and different policies in Scotland. Lots of fairly polished answers as you would expect after what must seem a lot of meetings in the campaign so far. Personally I would have preferred to hear more about their values, what makes them tick, so I can be clear about the real differences between the candidates.

We are currently consulting over which candidate, if any, UNISON will support. The decision will be taken by our UK Labour Link Committee on 21 July. It will be interesting to see what impact the candidates have had on our members in Scotland when we collate the feedback in a couple of weeks time.

No comments:

Post a Comment